Saturday, October 29, 2016

Bad Turkey smell

Since I have mostly stopped eating meat, the smell of cooking turkey no longer smells "good." I cannot remember when it did "smell good." When I first noticed the phenomenon several years ago, I could not identify the rancid and heavy smell at a party and finally (after a long time) concluded it must be the turkey. I was hired to play piano and was not really socializing. This is a strange and unexpected phenomenon that the nature of one's sense of smell can actually change dramatically during the course of your life.

If I eat a piece of pepperoni, the effect is immediately diminished.  But if I refrain from eating any meat at all, then after a week or so the effect returns; the smell of cooking meat is unpleasant and unappealing. Curious.

copyright (c) 2016
William Schaeffer

No comments:

Post a Comment