Monday, October 26, 2015

R.I.P. Sigitas Bigelis

My friend Sigi died a year ago from cancer.  We were roommates in college and he was the one who turned me on to smoking weed.  However, I just quit smoking weed a month ago because I was coughing too much.  It is the last vice that my body could tolerate and I'm doing ok.  

Sigi and I were roommates the sophomore year in college.  Then I got an apartment the junior year with some other friends.  Ironically, Sigi quit smoking a couple years after that, but we always stayed in touch and I went up to visit his house in San Jose a couple times.  He was a programmer for Lockheed and then a systems programmer for IBM.  He was a smart and hard working guy, but never really found happiness or love.  He liked to drink beer and eat BBQ.  One year he BBQ'ed a whole turkey on his grill for Thanksgiving. One Christmas he sent me a big box care package with numerous DVD copies and a funny robot clown.

About four or five years ago we stopped talking because he was drinking Vodka excessively. He called me from his mother's house after drinking nine shots of vodka.  He had smuggled a bottle in his suitcase on the plane.  I was pissed because his entire conversation was a waste of my time.  Even though I was angry, I still remembered him affectionately but did not call.  A few years later I called him "out of the blue" and found he had cancer.  He loved to eat meat and was 60 pounds over weight.  He had found some symptoms, of blood in his stool, but did not bother going to the doctor in time.  He finally quit drinking but it was too late.  He died a few months later.  I called a few times, but could not visit because I had a Hernia myself that was probably caused by coughing.

He thought about killing himself with his pistol, but I urged him to be a man, and am genuinely surprised that he did not take the suicide route.  He died like a man, in great pain, and great mental torment.  His brother took care of all the preparations as he had no family.   

I rarely spoke to his brother, because Sigi always described the brother as selfish, and egotistical.  He was a salesman in Chicago.  I STILL have not spoken with the brother since Sigi's death even though I wrote two letters.  

Sigi was only 57 when he died and he probably could have lived another thirty years if he had loved himself and taken care of himself, but he didn't.  We live in a world without love, being excessively concerned with corporate profits, big houses, and lots of neat material possessions.   This is especially true for men in America.   I am not sure if Sigi ever read a single book on philosophy, but he did read science fiction and fantasy on occasion. I remember he turned me on to the literature of Franz Kafka in college.

Now days, it is too bad that almost no one remembers him and no one really cares that he is dead.  He was a good guy despite being stubborn and opinionated.  He was honest and fair and his "word was gold."  He always followed through on his promises.   I miss him and think of him occasionally.

R.I.P. Sigitas Bigelis 10-13-2014


copyright(c)2015
William Schaeffer


.



6 comments:

  1. I know some people like him. It is hard to find people now who really care. I'm sorry you lost him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Life belongs to the living. "Let the dead bury the dead." All we can do is remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sitting in Greece and a couple of us who knew Sigi were thinking about him today, and ran across this from a google search. I worked with him for seven years at Lockheed. He certainly was a character. We have tons of Sigi stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for writing this eulogy. If not for this, it is unlikely that I would have any knowledge of what happened to Sigi.

    I met Sigi in 1968. My family had just moved to Cicero, Illinois; so I was a new kid at Burnham Elementary School. Sigi came up to me during an outdoor classroom break and said, “Hi I’m Sigi.” I replied, “Ziggi?” And he said, “NO! It’s Sigi!” After that I was careful to always say his name properly, and we became good friends very quickly. We stayed close friends during the Morton East High School years. And then he went off to university at Champaign, Illinois. But we still got together a few times a year whenever he would be back in town to visit his family. After college, Sigi moved to California; but I still saw him once or twice a year, again for his family visits, which usually involved picking him up or dropping him off at O’Hare Airport. We always went out for a pizza (his favorite food): Uno’s, Gino’s, Salerno’s, or Nancy’s (there were a few more that I can’t think of).

    I saw him last in the late 1990s. His parents were getting old, and he no longer had much time to see friends during his brief family visits. Also, I had moved to central Illinois. So our paths no longer crossed. But I could always count on a phone call around the Christmas or Thanksgiving holidays. We would talk for an hour, and it felt just like high school again. Sigi had a great sense of humor. Our conversations were evenly split between talking and laughing.

    My last communication with Sigi was in 2012. I sent him an email, thinking that email would be a good way to keep in touch. But ironically, Sigi was not much into computers outside of his work interest as a data base designer. He responded with a quick message that he would get back to me. But he never did. The yearly phone calls also stopped. I rationalized that people sometimes drift apart with age; it’s normal. He once said to me that after his parents died, he wouldn’t be coming back to Illinois. So I waited, and was confident that one day, Sigi and I would reconnect.

    Recently, I’ve been watching the HBO sitcom Silicon Valley. Every episode I cannot help but think of Sigi. This evening (Oct. 21, 2019), I did a Google search for him and discovered that he died in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I decided to tell a series of Sigi stories. You can find them here.
    http://bigelks.blogspot.com/2019/11/sigi-bigelis.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a grad student T.A., had Sigi as a student in Spring semester ('79) U of Illinois, EE 271 (Switching Theory), lab section. Instructor was Dr Ed Davidson (EE Prof, Computer Architecture). I really remember Sigi for his smile, good nature, very friendly (gregarious). Pretty sharp/bright, not surprised to read accounts of his gregariousness/intelligence at Lockheed & IBM. I don't recall his lab partner

    I agree with kudos for Chicago style pizza. I was recently back at UIUC in 2016, I made a mandatory stop to Papa Dels. Shame to hear about his being overweight (he liked to eat), then the colon cancer

    ReplyDelete