Friday, November 13, 2015

There are five more sides to the dice

"There are five more sides to the dice." - Mr. Atwater

Doing Background Acting requires a fair tolerance of rejection.  When I see a job posted and apply for the role, I am only successful in about 1/4, or 1/3, of the times.  The rest of the time, I am rejected because I did not meet certain physical requirements; or I was 'too late" and the job was already filled.

This happens to everyone.
~

Some people take the rejection personally, thinking the casting director has a vendetta, or there is some negative rating associated with their name.  When this happens to me I am tempted to think the same thing.  However, I remind myself , "It is a numbers game."   The more times I play the game, the more times I am likely to win.  The more times I "roll the dice," the more times I will get a winning number.

Most of public sales, retail sales, commercial distribution, subscription sales, insurance sales, investment products sales, and other forms of street hustling are similar. There is a certain percentage of rejection that is inherent in the business.  A predictable amount of the time even the best salesmen get rejected.  But they keep going. They "roll the dice" one more time, because they know there is always another opportunity.

~

"There are five more sides to the dice.
Next time ~ it might be a winner." - Mr. Atwater


copyright(c)2015
William Schaeffer

No comments:

Post a Comment